Connect genotypes to phenotypes. Decode human health. Be part of a team developing state of the art phenotyping technology used to improve human conditions such as aging, Alzheimer’s disease, cardiac arrhythmia and cancer. NemaMetrix, an actively growing biotech startup, is seeking an Applied Data Scientist to join the R&D team in Eugene, Oregon.
- Analyze optical, electrophysiological and other model organism data to identify phenotypes
- Create statistical models for data and provide summary statistics
- Effectively communicate and visualize analysis of rich data sets
- Work closely with Biologists, Geneticists, Engineers, Software Developers and Business personnel
- Understand bioinformatic and ontology standards
- Testing of new software
- Master’s degree or higher in mathematics, statistics, bioinformatics, biology or related field
- Two or more years experience analyzing biological data
- Ability to work in a fast-paced scientific environment and learn quickly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong background and experience in delivery of technical, data-rich projects ideally for external clients.
- Pragmatic coding ability – with fluency in at least one relevant programming language and the openness to learn and adapt to a variety of languages. We mainly use Python, and many related tools and libraries.
- Strong statistical skills, including experience with R, SAS, JMP or other statistical software
- Enthusiastic about continuously improving and rapidly developing new competencies
Additional experience with the following is desired:
- Working with large data sets
- Bayesian methods
- Data structure and curation, including organization into ontologies
- Scientific model organisms such as Zebrafish or C. elegans
- Genomic and phenomic data
If you are interested in this position please submit two or three representative samples of scientific analysis you have produced. Include graphs, spreadsheets, statistic output, conclusions etc. Please indicate the software you used to conduct the analysis.
To apply for this job email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NemaMetrix’s mission is to enable scientists and researchers around the world to better understand human health and explore potential treatments for high-impact disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, epilepsy and cancer by offering a more affordable and accessible platform.
The company develops solutions and commercializes proprietary systems for the genetic modification of simple microscopic living animals to act as human proxies for disease research and drug discovery and help our customers reveal new insights into the true nature of genetic mutations.
NemaMetrix is an equal opportunity employer. NemaMetrix recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At NemaMetrix, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing amazing breakthrough scientific products to our customers around the world, and we know our company runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees. NemaMetrix’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in all of our content and across all of our efforts. Diversity is more than a commitment at NemaMetrix—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.