NemaMetrix, Inc. seeks an experienced Microfluidic Engineer to join our R&D team. In this position, you will develop novel microfluidic designs to bring high throughput methodologies to C. elegans and related small organisms, while developing standards for the integration of microfluidic systems, including connectivity and ease of use. You will design high-throughput phenotyping systems that are robust for routine use in a laboratory setting.
- Perform rapid prototyping in soft lithography.
- Apply microfluidics to biological organisms.
- Set and test against design specifications.
- Distill and summarize primary scientific literature.
- Draw in CAD software such as Rhino, Fusion 360, or other design program.
- Perform statistical analysis (e.g. Python, Matlab, etc.) as well as instrument-oriented programming language(s) (e.g. Python; LabView).
- Knowledge of design principles, practices and implementations of complex systems
- Collaboration with multiple internal departments and external suppliers.
- Use diverse, analytical instruments such as oscilloscopes, DAQ interfaces, fluorescence microscopes, etc.
- Communicate complex ideas in both verbal and written English.
- Self-starter, detail-oriented, motivated, thoughtful, and with a strong work ethic.
- Willingness to quickly learn and apply new skills, procedures, and approaches.
- Proven ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced work environment.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Support diverse activities to develop bio-chip based, optofluidic or electrofluidic phenotyping platforms.
- Independently design and fabricate microfluidic prototyping chips using tools such as CAD software, simulation software, and various types of microfabrication procedures.
- Design, optimization, testing, and validation of microfluidic chips, fluidic, optical, and electrical interfaces, and instruments.
- Analyze and present data of various types including images, time traces, assay flows, optical spectrums, etc.
- Interface with internal resources and external vendors to design, test and validate equipment.
- Master’s degree in neuroscience, biology, microsystems, biomems, engineering, or related field. Ph.D. strongly preferred.
- Two or more years experience designing, producing, and using microfluidic systems.
- Two or more years experience with the application of parallel and serial high-throughput methodologies to C. elegans, cells, microbes, or or other biological model system.
Additional experience with the following is desired:
- Working with large data sets
- Bayesian methods
- Data structure and curation, including organization into ontologies
- Scientific model organisms such as Zebrafish or C. elegans
- Genomic and phenomic data
If you are interested in this position please submit two or three representative samples of scientific analysis you have produced. Include graphs, spreadsheets, statistic output, conclusions etc. Please indicate the software you used to conduct the analysis.
To apply for this job email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
NemaMetrix Inc. is a biotechnology company with offices in Eugene, OR and Salt Lake City, UT and 35 employees. Our mission is to enable scientists and researchers around the world to better understand human health and explore potential treatments for high-impact disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, epilepsy and cancer by offering a more affordable and accessible platform.
NemaMetrix has developed and commercialized a platform for the genetic humanization and phenotypic screening of simple microscopic organisms. These animals act as models for disease research and drug discovery and help our customers reveal new insights into the genetic roots of disease. Simply put – we sell transgenic C. elegans, bioassays for C. elegans, and instruments for C. elegans. We sell these to academic customers, pharmaceutical companies, and (increasingly) to clinical researchers for personalized therapeutic development.
NemaMetrix is an equal opportunity employer. NemaMetrix recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At NemaMetrix, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing amazing breakthrough scientific products to our customers around the world, and we know our company runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees. NemaMetrix’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in all of our content and across all of our efforts. Diversity is more than a commitment at NemaMetrix—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.