Simple. Convenient. Reliable.
Don’t settle for the inconsistency of in-house grown OP50. Use Freeze-dried Instant OP50 from LabTIE to obtain reproducible food quality and lawn thickness. Freeze-dried Instant OP50 is in ready-to-use format to trigger steady feeding behavior over time and enables you to:
- Remove the variable of ‘quality of food/nutrition’ from the equation in your experiments
- Feed C. elegans with a specific and measurable amount of nutrition
- Eliminate the time and effort needed to grow your own OP50
Instant OP50 from LabTIE is a high quality cultured Escherichia coli and is used as food source for the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. It is used to seed NGM agar plates or add to liquid cultures (S-medium).
- High and consistent quality
- Direct use of NGM Petri dishes after innoculation
- Empty vial is Gamma-irradiated, OP50 is not
- Freeze-dried (easy storage)
- Compatible with microfluidic chips
LabTIE Instant OP50 dietary choice behavior in C. elegans
The video shows the preference of C. elegans for this freeze-dried OP50 as a convenient food source. Consistent quality enables reproducible results for experiments and technical replications. It is freeze-dried and has single cells when dissolved in liquid. The OP50 strain was acquired from CGC.
Example Data and Comparison
Freeze-dried Instant OP50 triggers steady feeding behavior over time. Pharyngeal pumping frequency over time as elicited in Day-1 adult C. elegans. Worms were starved for 2 hours on a plate prior to 7-min incubation in re-hydrated freeze-dried bacteria (1.52mg/mL). n = 4 to 9 worms per time point.
C. elegans grows very nicely with it. I do not need spend my precious time just to grow OP50 and collect it by centrifugation any more in the rest of my life. — Yasuhiro Kadota, Senior Research Scientist, RIKEN – CSRS
This has been a game changer, removing much of the prep time needed for growing bulk quantities of worms for gene expression and proteomic studies. — Dustin Updike, Assistant Professor, MDI Biological Laboratory
I used the Freeze-dried OP50 to do my liquid cultures to obtain huge amount of worms or embryos for specific experiments. It’s a very useful system that I recommend without hesitation. — Carole Couillault, Lab Manager, Institut de Biologie du Développement de Marseille
This is a great product that allows me to save time by not having to grow my own OP50 for feeding C elegans. It is free of contamination, which is a huge selling point as contamination can really ruin a C. elegans colony. I use it to grow both plate colonies and liquid cultures of C elegans, and it saves me a ton of time. I would highly recommend it. — Kathryn Schweri, PhD, Nematologist
We are using concentrated freeze-dried OP50 routinely. The product is particularly useful for two cases. 1. When we grow a lot of worms for big scale experiments (for example proteomics, RNA seq., DNA seq. and so on) and when we realize that worms on some of the plates may be starved soon. We can easily add the concentrated OP50 on top of those plates. This is very important because starvation is one of the worst disasters that ruin our experiments. 2. Mass crosses for generating many males. As we can spot concentrated bacteria easily on plates to increase the chances of male-hermaphrodite mating without worrying about starvation. — Seung-Jae Lee, Professor, POSTECH
|Monoculture||Empty vials and pots were Gamma rayed 25 kiloGray (kGy), Monoculture OP50 was not Gamma rayed.|
|Density||± 5×109 cells when dissolved in 250mL|
|Solubility||Good – Color: Turbid yellow when dissolved in dH2O/S-medium|
|Cultivation methodology||Cultured in Super Optimal Broth (SOB) medium in a controlled environment under optimal conditions|
|Contents cultivation medium||Bacto-tryptone, Yeast extract, NaCl, KCL, MgCl2, MgSO4, Glycerol, Glucose|
|Description||Qty||Seed Vol.*||Plates*||Packaging||Price||Cat. No.|
|Freeze-dried OP50 5 units||5 vials||5x 250 mL||500||$149.95||OP50-31772|
|Freeze-dried OP50 20 units||20 vials||20x 250 mL||2,000||$359.99||OP50-31773|
|Freeze-dried OP50 bulk 40 units||1 bottle||40x 250 mL||4,000||$611.99||OP50-31775|
|Freeze-dried OP50 bulk 100 units||1 bottle||100x 250 mL||10,000||$1,475.99||OP50-31776|
* 1 unit/vial will seed 250 mL liquid culture or 100 plates.
Note: We are the exclusive distributor for this product in North America. We can only sell to US or Canada customers. If you are outside North America, please contact LabTie directly.
- E.L Greer, et al. An AMPK-FOXO Pathway Mediates Longevity Induced by a Novel Method of Dietary Restriction in C. elegans, Current Biology, 2007, Volume 17, Issue 19, Pages 1646–1656
- C. Heintz, et al. Splicing Factor 1 Modulates Dietary Restriction and TORC1 Pathway Longevity in C. elegans, Nature. 2017 Jan 5; 541(7635): 102–106.
- K. Conery, E.coli induced pharyngeal pumping in C. elegans, NemaMetrix, May 31, 2016
- T.E Johnson, et al. Genetic variants and mutations of Caenorhabditis elegans provide tools for dissecting the aging processes. Genetic effects on aging II. Edited by: Harrison DE. 1990, Caldwell, NJ: Telford, 101-127
- D. Muschiol, et al. Life cycle and population growth rate of Caenorhabditis elegans studied by a new method, BMC Ecology, 2009, 9:14
- University of Tübingen, Worm Methods, Animal Evolutionary Ecology, Version 29/01/06
- G.M Solis, M. Petrascheck. Measuring Caenorhabditis elegans life span in 96 well microtiter plates. J Vis Exp. 2011, 49:2496